Thursday, June 7, 2012

When the world thinks you are crazy....

Christians have been persecuted for thousands of years. Some have been killed, tortured and jailed for the simple belief that Christ is the son of God. Here in America, we are blessed with freedom of religion and rarely have to face persecution for our beliefs, however, ignorance is still very present. There is a cliche saying "people fear what they do not know" and I think this applies with Christianity. Most people who don't have a personal relationship with God, think Christians (and their beliefs) are crazy because they don't KNOW God. I recently wrote a facebook post that describes the choice we have in life, we can live politically correct and please man, or we can live biblically correct and please our maker. I know I have chosen the more difficult path by following God and trying to live according to His Word. With my choice also comes adversity and doubt from those around me. Whenever, I feel attacked or as if I am not being taken seriously, I can always turn to the example of Jesus and all he faced while he was on earth. Very few supported him and MANY hated him but He chose to love his enemies and pray for those who persecuted him. Luke 6:32&33 "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them" "If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same."
As a believer, I often have to take big bites of humble pie and instead of fighting back those who oppose me, I have to let things go and pray for them. I am not here to tell you and I have NEVER fought back or that I have ALWAYS turned the other cheek. The truth is, I have messed up quite a few times and probably didn't represent God in the best manner. But I can rest assured that I serve a God who will fight my battles because we are not fighting against people in the flesh, it is so much bigger than that.
It does hurt when those around me don't understand what they choose not to know. It hurts when I am mocked or told I am in a cult. It hurts to see people so close to Truth and they just can't bring themselves to surrender. It hurts when I know I have chosen this path and it isn't going to get any easier but it is ALL WORTH IT.

No comments: